Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Preserving a Husband

One of the things I brought home from my mom's house was an accordion file full of recipe cards and clippings from magazines. I went through them tonight with plans to make a few (or more than a few) and also to create a cookbook out of them to give to family members.

The file apparently belonged to my grandmother, since most of the handwritten cards were in her handwriting. But there were a few that were either written by others, or had "from ______" on them. My aunts, my mom, our great aunts, great grandmother, cousins and great cousins and people we called our cousins just because several generations ago someone in their family married someone in ours... neighbors and friends. It's really a great little treasure.

But I had to share this recipe that was in the "Miscellaneous" section. I believe it came out of a magazine published by the local electrical co-op. I think you'll enjoy it.

Preserving a Husband
Be careful of your selection.  Do not choose too young.  When once selected, give your entire thought to preparation for domestic use.  Some insist on keeping them in a pickle, others are constantly getting them in hot water.  This makes them sour, hard, and sometimes bitter.  Even poor varieties may be made sweet, tender and good by garnishing them with patience, well-sweetened with love, and seasoned with kisses.  Wrap them in a mantle of charity.  Keep them warm with a steady fire of domestic decoration and serve with peaches and cream.  Thus prepared, they will keep for years.


I love the "poor varieties" comment... I've known a few of those.

2 comments:

idyll hands said...

Hah - classic.

Whitty said...

you know you seriously opened my eyes with that whole big lady vogue thing and since i am going to be working for vogue when i'm 22 in 10 more years i'll be sure to remember that thanks.

and yes that makes me younger than 14